Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) released the 2019 Green-e Verification Report (2018 Data), which highlights the increasing role of Green-e certification in the growing U.S. retail renewable energy market and corporate sustainability initiatives. Green power markets set records in 2018, with over six million customers procuring about 134 million megawatt hours (MWh) of clean energy, according to preliminary data from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory presented at Renewable Energy Markets 2019.
Nearly half of that demand—over 62 million MWh—was certified by Green-e Energy, the leading certification program in North America for clean energy and carbon offset programs offered to businesses and consumers. This represents an increase of 4% over the previous year’s sales, and enough to power over half of U.S. households for a month. The report also shows:
- Over 3.7 million MWh came from solar generation, a nearly 80% increase over the previous year
- Over half of the supply came from facilities less than five years old
- 83% of the supply came from 10 states—Texas and Oklahoma account for more than half
- Green-e Climate certified the largest volume in the program’s history, an 84% increase over the previous year
- The number of customers enrolled in a community choice program increased 16%
READ THE REPORT