1. Green-e Program Associate
Full-Time Position (40 hours/week)
Posting Date: March 16, 2017
Application Deadline: Ongoing (Open until filled)
Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) and the Green-e certification programs are seeking a full-time Green-e Associate to join our innovative, team-oriented environment to assist program participants and manage the implementation of our growing suite of Green-e programs. Green-e is North America’s leading independent consumer protection program for the sale of renewable energy and greenhouse gas reductions, helping to facilitate market-based solutions that drive sustainable energy and climate action. Green-e is administered by the nonprofit CRS, located in the Presidio of San Francisco, California.
This is a great opportunity to gain practical renewable energy, climate change, and corporate social responsibility experience.
The Associate should expect to spend the majority of his/her time on the following types of activities. The list below is not exhaustive:
Green-e Operations (80%):
- Manage relationships with Green-e Energy and Green-e Climate program participants by acting as a Green-e Regional Representative for a portion of North America
- Manage certification applications, onboard and train program participants, conduct contract renewals and terminations, review and improve related internal program processes and documentation
- Conduct semi-annual Marketing Compliance Reviews for Green-e Energy participants and Green-e Climate participants, and ongoing California Enhanced Community Renewables (ECR) marketing reviews
- Support renewable energy facility documentation review process throughout the year including evaluation of renewable energy claims
- Respond to general Green-e email inquiries and inbound calls; perform program administration duties such as meeting minutes, mailings, and website updates; and support data-related projects and develop other Green-e data management skills
- Support program outreach in Representative’s region, or elsewhere as needed
Program Outreach/Development and Other Activities (20%)
Depending on applicant’s interest, background, workload and availability, the position may include other activities, such as:
- Business travel in to meet with program participants and to conduct program outreach
- Provide research support to Green-e Climate and Marketplace programs
- Support other outreach efforts for Green-e and CRS programs, including through social media channels, public speaking and webinars
- Other projects as they arise and as the Associate has interest and ability
Compensation and Scheduling
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week paid staff position. The Associate is expected to work from the CRS office. Some travel is expected.
Qualifications and Preferred Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in a related field with relevant work experience and/or coursework
- Enthusiastic self-starter
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Study or work experience in environmental policy, electricity markets, climate change, and/or carbon offsets
- Passion for renewable energy
- Excellent research, writing and quantitative skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects while keeping a firm focus on priorities
- High level of comfort contacting current and potential program participants by phone and email in a professional manner
- Microsoft Office Suite competency, including manipulation of large data sets in Excel
- Experience with Salesforce and/or webpage design is a plus
- Experience with program compliance, verification and enforcement is a plus
- Fluency in a foreign language, especially Mandarin, is a plus
2. Green-e Energy Verification Associate—Summer 2017
Four (4) Part-Time Temporary Positions (32 hours/week)
Posting Date: March 1, 2017
Start Date: May 23, 2017
Application Deadline: Ongoing (Open until filled)
The Center for Resource Solutions is seeking four motivated individuals to serve as Verification Associates for the summer of 2017. This is a great opportunity to learn about renewable energy and the intricacies of the voluntary renewable energy market in which it is sold. The Associates will work closely with Green-e Energy staff and learn about each of the Green-e programs: Energy, Climate and Marketplace.
The positions will begin on May 23, 2017; three of the positions will last ten weeks, and one of the positions will last twenty weeks. Candidates must be available to start on May 23. These positions may be considered internships only if you have a relationship with an amenable sponsoring institution. If you wish to get credit for this position as an internship, please include information from your sponsoring institution in your application. Students currently enrolled in graduate programs are encouraged to apply.
The Associates will assist with Green-e Energy’s annual verification process, as well as have opportunities for research projects, based on the needs of the Green-e programs and the interest and experience of the candidates.
Verification (75-80%): Renewable energy sellers in Green-e Energy are required to submit an annual Verification Report detailing their supply and sales of renewable energy during a given year. These reports are audited by accountants hired by the program participant. The Associates will assist Green-e Energy staff in reviewing and processing the reports, which are received June 1, 2017.
Research (20-25%): In addition to verification tasks, there are a number of other areas within CRS that can use assistance. Depending on the applicant’s particular interests and skills, he/she may work in a number of areas including:
- Renewable energy facility reviews
- Utility outreach
- Renewable energy markets and accounting in other countries
- Green-e communications/marketing
- Facilitating partnerships with like-minded organizations
- Identifying companies for possible Green-e Marketplace participation
- Green-e Salesforce applications
Compensation and Scheduling
This is a temporary, part-time position, and the Associate is expected to work 32 hours per week. This position pays $18 per hour if funding from the applicant’s university or another grant-giving institution is not available. The Associate will be expected to work from the CRS office in the Presidio of San Francisco, and will be eligible to receive commuter benefits. The schedule arrangement is flexible so long as the Associate works in the office an average of 32 hours each week.
Qualifications and Preferred Skills
- Enrolled in a graduate program in a related field, or have completed a bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of experience
- Passion for renewable energy and environmental issues
- Study or work experience in Accounting, Environmental Studies, Economics, Communications, Software QA/QC, Policy or related field
- Experience with Microsoft Excel; knowledge of functions, pivot tables and other data analysis features is extremely helpful
- Comfortable managing and reviewing large amounts of data and mathematical calculations
- Great attention to detail
- High level of comfort contacting clients by phone and email in a professional manner
- HTML experience is a plus
- Previous experience with renewable energy markets is a plus
3. Center for Resource Solutions and Green-e Fellowship Program
Four (4) Temporary Part-Time Positions
Posting Date: January 9, 2017
Start Date: March 2017
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Center for Resource Solutions (CRS) is seeking four (4) part-time fellows for the spring of 2017 to assist with research and program-related activities. These volunteer positions will run from March through May 2017.
CRS is a nonprofit environmental organization that creates policy and market solutions to advance sustainable energy. Since 1997, CRS has been instrumental in the development of landmark state, regional, and national renewable energy and climate policies. Green-e is a program of CRS that provides third-party certification for renewable energy, such as utility green power programs, and carbon offset programs. Green-e Energy is North America’s leading consumer protection and certification program for renewable energy. Green-e also offers a unique certification (Green-e Marketplace) that recognizes organizations using certified renewable energy and/or carbon offsets and enables them to demonstrate their environmental commitment through the use of the nationally recognized Green-e logo.
The Fellowship Program is a great opportunity to gain practical renewable energy, climate change, and nonprofit office experience, and to be exposed to a variety of topics and organizations in the renewable energy sector. CRS will work with each fellow to craft a four-month work plan that utilizes current strengths, while developing experience in other areas of interest. Fellows can expect to engage in any of the following types of activities:
- Research. Areas of research include international electricity markets, government policy, stakeholder mapping, renewable energy/carbon offset purchasers, standards that support renewable energy and carbon offsets, electricity and carbon oversight activities and industry best practices.
- Marketing oversight & consumer protection. Support the review of client marketing materials and renewable energy claims to ensure compliance with the Green-e program rules. Learn about industry best practices for accurate renewable energy marketing and disclosure.
- Business development. Perform market research online in discreet energy sectors. Help develop and execute on direct communications to target market groups. Identify industry organizations and potential partnership opportunities. Some work in Salesforce and Excel is expected.
- Marketing and communications. Provide support for CRS’s communications activities, draft marketing communications in Adobe Indesign, write draft blog posts, manage content calendars, manage social media accounts, provide marketing strategy support, and other design functions based on fellow’s capabilities.
- Policy Support. Provide support for CRS’s policy work in current areas of interest, including: design and implementation of state Renewable Portfolio Standards, community renewables programs, power source and emissions disclosure, carbon regulation and market design, and government support of voluntary markets.
- Event planning. Work on logistics and programming for the 2017 Renewable Energy Markets Conference, CRS’s annual conference being held in October 2017 in New York. Potential to work on smaller, targeted events as opportunities arise.
The ideal candidates will have excellent internet research skills, organizational skills, Microsoft Excel competency, and a passion for renewable energy and climate change. Knowledge of corporate social responsibility, climate change, renewable energy, and carbon offsets is a plus, as is experience with renewables outside of the US. Half time commitment at the CRS office for 3 months or equivalent is desired. A Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience a minimum requirement. Opportunities also are available for mid-career professionals and graduate students.
To Apply for a Position at Center for Resource Solutions (CRS)
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com in one combined file titled with your name. Please include the job title in the subject line. Indicate why you are interested in the position, a summary of your qualifications for the position, and your available start date. No calls or email inquiries please. Employment will be contingent upon completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and satisfactory reference checks.
CRS is a national nonprofit with global impact. CRS brings forth expert responses to climate change issues with the speed and effectiveness necessary to provide real-time solutions. Our leadership through collaboration and environmental innovation builds policies and consumer-protection mechanisms in renewable energy, greenhouse gas reductions, and energy efficiency that foster healthy and sustained growth in national and international markets.
CRS does not discriminate based on race, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation or disability. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. CRS provides a robust benefits package, including a matching program for 401(k) retirement (permanent positions only), comprehensive insurance benefits, paid leave, and commuting benefits. CRS is located in the Thoreau Center for Sustainability in San Francisco’s Presidio National Park.